Team Mary rides AGAIN!
It's easy to think that HIV/AIDS is no longer a problem. Medications have come a long way, and people are living much longer, healthier lives. This is why the work of San Francisco AIDS Foundation and the LA Gay & Lesbian Ctr is so vital. They continue to provide the critical services and education needed to meet the growing needs of communities everywhere. The ride is to raise awareness and knowledge about HIV/AIDS among participants, donors (you), and the general public.
That said, Team Mary is ready to respresent in the ALC for it's 17th consective year! Team Mary consists of over 50 riders (Marys) including several "Virgin Marys". What is a "Virgin Mary"? A "Virgin Mary" is a 1st year rider that has been recruited by our Veteran riders. They are dubbed their official "Mary" name before the ride as their "right of passage" to a safe and amazing journey. Last year our team had a record breaker of $450,000 raised! This year with your help we are commiting to $500,000.00! However, we can't do it without you...
- $50,000 underwrites the cost of comprehensive HIV wraparound services by a case management team for 3 months for 135 patients
- $35,000 funds an HIV Counselor for 1,200 clients per year
- $25,000 covers 5 months of mental health therapy for 28 patients
- $15,000 provides comprehensive sexual health services, including HIV and STD tests, treatment, education, and counseling to 100 clients
- $10,000 covers 3 months of psychosocial case management for 300 patients
- $7,500 provides a nurse for one month to administer STD screening and treatments for 400 clients
- $5,000 covers a full year of laboratory testing for 11 patients
- $1,000 covers a full year of medical supply costs for 40 patients
- $1,000 funds one client receiving Post Exposure Prophylaxis
- $250 provides Rapid HIV Antibody tests to 20 clients
- $180 provides HIV prevention counseling sessions to 20 teenagers
- $150 provides comprehensive HIV/STD testing to 1 client
- $30 covers the treatment medication for 1 client infected with an STD
- $10 buys 114 condoms that the Health Education and Prevention Program will distribute
A very big "MARY" thank you for the support! What YOU are doing today with your donation saves lives and brings us one step closer to ending AIDS. Until then the Marys will ride on!
JEM - Mary Mother Teresa
My Personal Web Log