June 3 - June 9, 2018, I'll be a RIDING 545 miles in 7 days from San Francisco to Los Angeles to help to make a world of difference in the lives of people living with HIV and AIDS.
My goal is to help raise $5,000 this year to help individuals get the care they need. Maybe forgo your coffee for the day and donate it here? :-) Anything helps and EVERY single dollar counts!
Here is where the money goes & how you can help:
- $10 buys 114 condoms. We know that condoms, properly used, prevent the transmission of HIV.
- $30 covers the cost of STI treatment for one patient. The presence of an untreated STI infection greatly increases the risk of HIV transmition.
- $100 covers the cost of Hepatitis A and B vaccinations. Coinfection (HIV and one form of hepatitis) makes treating HIV more difficult.
- $150 covers comprehensive HIV/STI testing for one patient.
- $180 covers the cost of providing HIV prevention counseling for a group of up to 20 teenagers.
- $250 covers the cost of administering 20 rapid antibody HIV tests at a testing site. This is the easiest way for people to test and know their status. It is estimated that 1/6 of people who are positive do not know their status.
- $1,000 covers the cost of providing Post-Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) for one person. Within 72 hours of exposure to HIV, PEP can prevent someone from becoming permanently infected.
- $5,000 covers the cost of one full year worth of lab testing for 18 people who live with HIV. Most patients need 4 tests per year in order to monitor their CD-4, CD-8 counts and viral loads for managing treatment.
- $10,000 provides counseling services for more than 250 clients in one month (this is precisely what I do at the LA LGBT Center). We address substance use, intimate partner violence, mental health and STI/HIV education and prevention. In counseling sessions we focus on reducing aspects that are the leading predictors of HIV infection.
- OR $10,000 covers 3 months of psychosocial case management for 300 HIV+ patients.
- $25,000 covers 5 months of mental health therapy for 28 patients.
- $35,000 funds an STI/HIV Counselor for 1,200 clients per year. Apparently this is how many people I get to meet and talk with over the course of a year!
Help me support AIDS/LifeCycle by giving what you can. We'll keep riding until AIDS and HIV are a thing of the past.
Thank you, SO MUCH, for all the support!
Theresa Do | AIDS/Lifecycle Rider #2250