Everyone is somehow affected by HIV/AIDS. Maybe you don’t know it, but someone in your life has suffered or is currently suffering. In California, we have the precious gift of actually being able to make a huge difference for those affected. The San Francisco AIDS Foundation and the Los Angeles LGBT Center provides critical services to those affected and hopefully help prevent the spread of HIV. The two agencies literally save lives.
You too can help – Read on!
Aids Lifecycle 2020 -- Here we come - Again!
From May 31 to June 6, 2020 I will make my fourth journey from San Francisco to Los Angeles in the annual AIDS Lifecycle. Each year is a different experience and each year has been epic on so many levels. I know 2020 will also be unique!. The only constant in my AIDS Lifecycle Journey is how much we are able to help those affected by HIV / AIDS.
I have always worked hard preparing for the rides. Not only training, but also fund raising. I have ridden over trained 15,000 miles in the last 4 years and have helped in raising over $47,944 for the ride. With those funds, my donors – YOU - have literally saved lives.
So, you may be wondering why the ride is so epic! Yes, funds from the ride save lives. Plain and simple, this ride is needed by so so many people. There are still new infections ever day and there are still people losing their lives every day.
The ride though also brings out the best in thousands of people. From the 2,500 riders making their way down the coast to the 700 or so roadies helping us, to the families along the route cheering us on, and finally to those waiting at the finish line. For a week, we share our lives and the road as we do a physical and mental challenge that is pretty unique. The outpouring of love and support during the ride is frankly overwhelming.
I am once asking for you to donate for two reasons. One, to help me participate in the ride again, and the second is to help fund critical life saving services. I have set my goal at $10,000 but would like to raise more. It might be financially hard to donate, but as you complete your donation, think of the positive impact you will be making. If you were one of the 100+ people whom donated last year, I am thankful you are again donating!
So what is your money spent on?
• $2,500 helps 4 HIV+ people receive safe and stable housing for one month.
• $1,000 provides 2 educational forums for 150 HIV+ attendees to learn how to live longer.
• $500 helps 15 people receive medical benefits counseling to obtain prescriptions.
• $500 will provide HIV prevention counseling to 60 teens
• $250 purchases Rapid HIV Antibody tests for 10 people.
• $175 provides case management for 15 HIV+ clients who are homeless
• $150 secures 1,000 clean needles to prevent the spread of HIV among IV drug users.
• $100 covers travel for a coordinator to attend the appointments of 25 clients.
• $50 buys 715 condoms for distribution and prevention of the spread of HIV.
• $25 supports a benefits counselor to assist 1 person in navigating the private and public systems, including Medi-Cal, Medicare, CARE/HIPP, SSDI, and Social Security
Thank you for helping make a difference. If you have questions, please don't hesitate to ask me!