June 2nd - June 8th: over 3,000 Cyclists, Roadies and Virtual Cyclists will be participating in AIDS/LifeCycle, a 545-mile bike ride from San Francisco to Los Angeles to raise funds for the life-saving services offered by San Francisco AIDS Foundation and the Los Angeles LGBT Center. This year, I’ll be one of them!
Before starting thie project, I hadn't been on a bike in over a decade, but I've decided to challenge myself to expand my personal fitness, support my local community, and raise awareness about the fight to end HIV/AIDS.
I've been lucky enough to have access to the awesome services at the Los Angeles LGBT Center, which provides fantastic programs including general healthcare, mental health and substance abuse counseling, STI/STD screening and treatment, longterm HIV/AIDS healthcare, transitional housing for homeless youth, and affordable housing for seniors.
Every donation, no matter the size, immediately goes to help the Center in its goal to fight against bigotry and build a better world in which LGBT people can be healthy, equal, and complete members of society:
- $15,000 provides comprehensive sexual health services, including HIV and STD tests, treatment, education, and counseling to 100 clients
- $10,000 covers 3 months of psychosocial case management for 300 patients
- $7,500 provides a nurse for one month to administer STD screening and treatments for 400 clients
- $5,000 covers a full year of laboratory testing for 11 patients
- $1,000 covers a full year of medical supply costs for 40 patients
- $1,000 funds one client receiving Post Exposure Prophylaxis
- $250 provides Rapid HIV Antibody tests to 20 clients
- $180 provides HIV prevention counseling sessions to 20 teenagers
- $150 provides comprehensive HIV/STD testing to 1 client
- $30 covers the treatment medication for 1 client infected with an STD
- $10 buys 114 condoms that the Health Education and Prevention Program will distribute
The services provided as a result of this event mean the world to those who receive them, and your support means the world to me.
We’re working together to make HIV/AIDS a thing of the past. Will you support me by making a donation today?